Incorporated in 1996, the Dubuque Area Landlord Association is an organization of landlords and managers whose purpose is to:
- Educate members and tenants as to their rights and responsibilities under the Landlord/Tenant Law of Iowa.
- Comply with all aspects of local, state, and federal Fair Housing Laws.
- Promote the enforcement of local, state, and federal ordinances, policies, and laws beneficial to the rental industry and to free enterprise.
- Participate for the purpose of mutual benefit in an interchange of information/experience with fellow members and other Landlord chapters.
- Disseminate useful information to all members and inspire them to further educate themselves in the practical features of their rental operation.
- Standardize and adopt uniform practices and procedures by using commonly accepted forms such as Applications, Rental Agreements, etc.
- Advocate a “Code of Ethics” to maintain high professional standards and sound business practices.
- Advance the general welfare of the rental property industry.
DALA Mission Statement
Landlords of Iowa, Inc.
Code of Ethics
The Landlords of Iowa has united for the purpose of advancing the general welfare of the rental housing industry in the State of Iowa and in recognition of the vital role of its members in responsibly meeting the rental housing need of our State. We acknowledge our commitment to our residents, to our State, and to our fellow housing providers to maintain the highest possible standards of quality and service. We commit ourselves to supplying and maintaining rental property which will provide residents with health and life safety, and with the human values of pride, dignity, and security.
Therefore, as members of the landlords of Iowa, we commit ourselves to these principles and standards:
THAT…we will uphold the highest professional standards of integrity, honesty, and fairness.
THAT…we will continually strive to better the industry by participating in and promoting education and professionalism;
THAT…we will promote the spirit of, and comply with, all applicable Fair Housing Laws in order to achieve equal housing opportunities for all;
THAT…we will properly maintain and safeguard all property under our care, meeting or exceeding all appropriate housing and health and life safety codes, ordinances and regulations;
THAT…we will respect the rights of others by preserving and enhancing private property rights and the free enterprise system;
THAT…we will comply with all Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations pertaining to our industry;
THAT…we will function cooperatively with our Local Chapters.
As a member of the Landlords of Iowa, I pledge myself to uphold this Code of Ethics and recognize the responsibility and authority of the Landlords of Iowa to enforce this Code of Ethics as a requisite of membership.
Adapted from the Code of Ethics
Adopted by the Wisconsin Apartment Association 1989 (Rev. 11/01/09)